Janet Sprintall from SCRIPPS (Scripps Institution of Oceanography, US) and Fan Wang from IOCAS (The Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China) have been voted (16 affirmative votes out of 17) as new deputy chairs of NPOCE Scientific Steering Committee (SSC), to support chair of NPOCE SSC Prof. Dunxin Hu’s work, and to be responsible for:
(1) Development of NPOCE Phase II, along with implementing NPOCE Phase I. There would be an extension planned beyond 2020. The study domain is to be expanded southward to connect with Solomon Sea, westward with ITF, and northward to subtropical circulation, and vertically from the upper ocean to the deep circulation in the Western Pacific Ocean. The NPOCE leadership team will develop Science and Implementation plan associated with this extension/expansion.
(2) Directing and planning NPOCE on-going research activities, organizing meetings through leadership of scientific organizing committee (SSC annual meetings, symposia, for example), and helping NPOCE secretariat, particularly with international matters.
(3) Leading SSC annual meetings, which may take place in China or other countries, either face to face, or through teleconference.
• The role of the ocean in large-scale climate variability
• Salinity feedbacks to air-sea interaction
• Long-term monitoring of the heat and transport in the upper ocean.
B.S. (Honours) , 1985, Griffith University, Australia
M.S., 1988, University of Sydney, Australia
Ph.D., 1992, University of Sydney, Australia
1995 – present, Research Oceanographer, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, USA
2007 - present, Senior Lecturer, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, USA
1993 - 1995, JIMO Postdoctoral Fellow, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, USA
1991 - 1993 National Research Council Postdoctoral Associate, NOAA-PMEL Seattle, USA.
Personal website: http://pordlabs.ucsd.edu/jsprintall/
Ocean circulation and its connection with climate, including circulation dynamics
Western boundary currents in the low-attitude Pacific
Tropical ocean circulation, deep ocean circulation, shelf circulations in the China Seas, and mesoscale processes.
Ph. D., 1995, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, China.
M. S., 1992, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, China.
B. S., 1989, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, China
2017-present, Director of Institute of Oceanography, Chinese Academy of Sciences
1999-present, Professor, Institute of Oceanography, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2004, Visiting Scholar, The British National Marine Science Center
2000, Visiting Scholar, Texas A&M University
1995-1997, Post-Doctor, Institute of Oceanography, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Personal website: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Fan_Wang22
This occasion is a good opportunity to thank Dr. Wenju Cai, as vice-chair of NPOCE SSC over the past 18 months, for his selfless support/effort and indispensable help to NPOCE from beginning up to now. Wish his new job as CLIVAR SSG co-chair go with a swing and be prosperous, and hope to have his continuous support to NPOCE in the future.